Wednesday, June 16, 2010

From Phoenix, Arizona all the way to Tacoma

I AM SO GOING TO STEAL HER LAMP!
For the first time in 8 1/2 years, I left my children...not even a baby with me.  I was ecstatic and terrified at the same time.  The end result was I had a blast  And upon return, I did not find that the house had been hit by a wrecking ball.  All and all I would say a good trip!

When you live in this:

And you come from this:

You will take any excuse to visit this:

I went up to see my sister and the girls in the family.  On a lark, my sister and sister-in-law wanted to see a musical and realized that if they could get 10 people then they could buy discount tickets.  My sister put out an email blast to girlfriends and family girls...and by the end of the day they had people flying in from the east coast!  36 tickets were bought and an even bigger after party at her house!  Yes, I know you are dying to know...we saw Menopause the Musical...which was hilarious.  No I am not THAT old!...but old enough to think it would be fun to fly to another state to see it!

I flew in a couple days early so I could just hang out with my sister...something we have not been able to do in about 15 years.  I got to go to her work...she is a lawyer...and actually see her in court for the first time.  It was just a motion...no Perry Mason stuff that day...but fascinating for an ex-government teacher / baby sister.  We went grocery shopping (party hint #1 if you shop at multiple stores, stay aware that you have bought enough to feed an ARMY!...at EACH location!), cleaned the house, decorated the garden, chatted with her friends:  We got to be sisters, something we don't get a chance to do often enough any more.  Something we all need to do more often.

My sister has the prettiest house, built 1940 with a 1/4 acre lot that has a view of Puget Sound and complete with the sound of boat horns drifting up.  Since the yard is stepped, she has created little flower vignettes all over.

Other than life of the party, my only other party contribution was a recent hors d'oeuvres I created (the one I forced Gail to wrap with me as we left too late for another party, cough cough...).
I am a pinch of this, handful of that type of cook, so I will do my best to recreate the recipe.  I absolutely love this stuff:

PROSCIUTTO WRAPPED PESTO TUNA 
1.  five cans tuna, drained
2. about 1/3 jar Trader Joes Pesto 
(I recommend this because the garlic is mild
strong garlic overwhelms all the other flavors)
3.  Mayonnaise about 1/2 cup
(just enough to moisten and 
transfer the other ingredients)
4.  1 1/2 jars Trader Joes Artichoke Hearts
smashed and chopped
(again must be mild, not spicy or such)
5. 1/2 finely diced onion
6.  Mix Well
7.  1 bunch celery, chopped
8.  Mix Well
9.  3 or 4 tsp Safeway brand Capers, drained
10.  Mix Gently
11.  Cut Prosciutto slices in half
12. Wrap about 1 T Pesto Tuna Salad in each slice

The Tuna salad is good...but the prosciutto takes it to a whole new level, a must do!

Moral of the story:  Go hang out with your sister.  It's a well worth it adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment